Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Blue Star Brewing Company- A Review





Yesterday my Mother-in-Law and I went to the 'artsy' district and wandered around for a bit. After going through a couple of galleries, and an awesome folk art shop, we headed to the Blue Star Brewing Company for lunch. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but I was pleasantly surprised when we walked in. Outside there is a small wooden patio area that had been beaten up by the sun, wind and rain. It was quite charming, although I can't imagine sitting out there this time of year for lunch...the ice in your drink would melt too quickly, and your food would NEVER cool down! But there were a couple of brave souls trying it out. (They gave me a funny look as I squated down to take a picture of the sign...)
We went in the front door and were greeted by giant shiny tanks of beer, and a sign that instructed us to seat our selves. So we grabbed two paper menus that were sitting on a table, and out own silverware that was neatly wrapped in a napkin, and stacked high in a galvanized tub. The "Blue Plate Special" that was advertised on the menu board looked to tempting to pass up, so we each ordered that, with a nice tall glass of ice tea.
The food was brought out to us one plate at a time. It was a very high class feeling. I very rarely go to places where you get a three course meal...especially not one where American Chopper is playing on a flat screen TV in the background.... Course #1 was a side salad. Just your basic salad, nothing fancy, but it was very fresh. Course #2 was a colorful dish of BBQ pork ribs (which I have never ordered from a restaurant because my Mom makes the best ribs on the planet), potato salad, and some sort of warm cabbage/carrot dish that at first I was a bit afraid to try. The entire plate was delicious! If ribs taste like this all the time, I might have to start ordering them more often! Juicy, tender, fall off the bone, smothered in a thick, rich, tomato BBQ sauce...mmmmm.... The Potato salad didn't taste like the stuff that most places get in a giant bucket. The potatoes were cooked properly, and it wasn't 'fake' tasting like some. And while it was a tad scary to look at, the cabbage dish was actually really good! So good, that I now have to figure out exactly what it was, and how to make it! Course #3 was bread pudding with a lovely maple sauce. Now, I'll let you know that I LOVE bread pudding! Even if it's bad, it's still pretty good....like pizza. For some I think it may have been a little mushy, but I still loved it. There were blueberries in it, although there was some debate about that because they didn't have a lot of flavor. We ended up asking our server, who said they were raisins. He then went back and asked the chef, and walked back out to correct himself because they were, in fact, blueberries.
After two giant glasses of iced tea, three plates of amazing food (which I ate every single bit of, despite the fact that my shorts were growing too tight for me and I knew we'd be spending the next two hours walking around), we decided it was time to move on.
The entire experience was great. Our server was right on top of things, and was excellent...very friendly, and chipper, and he got a big fat tip because of it. And did I mention that all that food only cost $6.95! I will definitely be going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment